Why is meditation vital for optimum mental and physical health?
When I first learned energy healing and meditation my primary focus was on how the body heals from physical conditions. My meditation practice which I know is highly immune boosting has always given my mind a feeling as if I am on “vacation”.
In recent years I have become just as focused on the amazing preventative power that meditation brings to us on a Holistic level.
We know that the CDC says that 70 – 90% of all diseases are stress related.
We also now know that a long term effect of too much of the stress hormone cortisol even destroys healthy muscle and bone and blocks the creation of good hormones that are vital to our health.
Eventually too much cortisol leads to anxiety, depression, increased blood pressure, brain fog, insomnia, inflammation, and the list of symptoms goes on.
Too much stress effects our mind and body in all ways.
Imagine a world where we meditated as much as we medicated!
Why does it work?
The Science behind why meditation is so beneficial for overcoming depression and anxiety is fascinating. I find that the more we understand why things work, the more motivated we are to keep up our practice.
Here are some interesting facts for you to help understand why bringing a meditation practice into our life is literally life changing:
- A study by a Rutgers University doctor discovered that meditators had a nearly 50% reduction in cortisol levels!
- Meditation provides a dramatic boost in DHEA hormone levels. Dr. Vincent Giampapa, M.D., former President of the American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine, discovered that meditators have an incredible 43.77% more DHEA over everybody else! Many scientists think meditation is a massive anti ageing tool.
- Anyone with an addiction, all have one thing in common: lack of GABA. Not having enough of this very important chemical can create anxiety, nervousness, racing thoughts, and sleeplessness. Meditation increases GABA!
- In 2010, Psychiatrists at the Boston University School of Medicine found a 27% increase in GABA levels after only 1 hour of mindfulness. Researchers were surprised to see evidence that it is “more powerful than exercise”.
- Delta” is a key brainwave frequency found during both meditation and the deepest stage of sleep. Meditators have a naturally higher level of growth hormone levels and tend to look younger and full of vitality.
- Melatonin is a magic key to a good mood and restful sleep. A chemical “Powerhouse”, melatonin is known to prevent cancer, build the immune system, slow down ageing, and has been linked to helping prevent over 100 different diseases. Rutgers University researchers discovered that melatonin levels for meditation practitioners were boosted by an average of 98%, with many participants having increases of more than an incredible 300%!